Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Critic vs Master

Okay so my church has been doing this series and the last two sermons have been about what a master does and a critic does.  During the first sermon I first though to myself "Oh I'm closer to a master than a critic"  but little did I know I was far from right.  Throughout the second sermon, I finally had a wake up call and realized that I had been a complete moron during the last service.  I am a critic!  that was the conclusion that I came to.  The difference between a critic and a master is kinda like this.  Brett Favre is a master.  He plays the game of football with such expertise and everyone admires him.  Whereas a critic is someone who reads books and does everything short of playing professional football and then points out the things that Brett Favre has done wrong.  I'd say I'm more of a critic but I'm a critic of masters of life not just of football.  I'm constantly critiquing something that someone has done wrong and feeding off of that saying to myself "Oh I wouldn't have made that decision!  I wouldn't have done that." How do I get from critic to master?  I know where I am but how do I get to being a master?

4 comments:

  1. Nice post -- I needed to hear that. I struggle with pointing out others' flaws too, and I constantly have to remind myself to work on ME before I try to fix other people.

    Matthew 7:2-4 -- "For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you. Why do you look at the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' and behold, the log is in your own eye?"

    This is one of the HARDEST things I deal with. Thanks for posting about it! :)

    Kailyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post--you're getting better at reminding yourself to blog. (:

    I should watch the podcasts of the last few sermons. I love Open Door. (:

    ReplyDelete