Monday, May 10, 2010

I've Failed Again

Again I've failed to post for the longest time on earth. What can I say I absolutely stink at posting consistently. Anyways, I've been reading this book called Velvet Elvis by Rob Bell. Rob Bell is the pastor of a church called Mars Hill in Grandville, Michigan. He's a great guy and I would highly recommend his book. He also helps to clarify the scriptures by taking key words in some of our favorite verses and going back to the Hebrew, Greek, or Latin word for it and defining those words with more precision. In this book he gives great food for thought and helps clear up some of the confusing things that we as Christians do just because the generation before us did so. He also helps me to probe everything I hear and do currently and check it to find the truth in all of it. Rob Bell definitely gets me thinking about many things.

5 comments:

  1. I mostly LOVE rob bell. I LOVE his vid called "breathe" but I have issues with that book. Especially that part where he talks about our faith and how certain things shouldn't shake it....but honestly, if I found out that Jesus wasn't born of a virgin...that would and SHOULD shake my faith...it should DESTROY it. So yeah, I have slight issues with some of his doctorine. But he's very intelligent and has some good points. Happy reading!
    With Love and Blessings,
    Bleah Briann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes you are right about the virgin birth thing Bleah Briann but if you read farther he goes back to the Hebrew root. That said, I'm glad that you are probing what he and others have said!

    Hunter

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am totally gonna get the book from my library.

    -Bekah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hebrew root yes...but still. I know what he is saying, but I still don't agree. He traced it back to Hebrew and all but if you go to Isiaah ( I know I spelled it wrong...long day) it specifically says what the "virgin birth" means. And its not what Bell says it means. Anyways...I do like alot of Bells stuff I and I don't mean to be here argueing or anything.
    Anyway. Ever since I found out that you, Jake, Bekah, Hannah, and all of you guys know each other I've been trying to peice it together. I've been putting it in terms who who are Alex's friends are and whose Jake's friends are. So whose friends are u? Jakes or Alex's?
    Hehe, I know I'm being nosy but this is extremely interesting to me. :)

    Thanks for putting up with my ranting. :P

    With Love and Blessings,
    Bleah Briann

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes right again! The virgin birth means that Jesus' Father is actually God. I won't go into depth on that but yeah the significance of the virgin birth is huge because it means that Jesus' father is God! And Rob Bell doesn't claim to have it all down. Which is why you should talk to him about his book. I'm glad that you know how to look at peoples view points and spot the truth in it.

    Hunter

    ReplyDelete